Dear Carolina and FIS colleagues,

Many thanks for your questions. They have motivated quite interesting responses--I agree with the very cogent comments raised. Only a few further matters to consider about neuroinformation. First, TOPOLOGY. I think all the mappings, gradients, inversions, deletions, amplifications, etc. that exist among the neural surfaces constitute an essential ingredient. Without it, the mass of neural networks would be unable to perform any sophisticate neurocomputation (it is topology rather than mere topography, as all the irregularities conform strategic relationships of vicinity). Second, MOLECULAR SPECIFICITY, that relates to the vast number of neurotransmitters, neuromodulators, hormones, neuropeptides etc. that guide the circulating electricity, organized in signaling pathways of amazing complexity (the postsynaptic sites are signaling theaters with more than a dozen pathways that also include local protein synthesis and degradation). All these molecular recognition events are decisive to orientate the electrical processing, and viceversa, electricity also guides the molecules... together they achieve information processing tied to the advancement and completion of a life cycle (this is crucial in my view). Third, OPTIMIZATION PRINCIPLE, combining minimization of neuronal free energy within a Bayesian scheme, one of the most advanced approaches is by Karl Friston (in a plethora of papers, he has an amazing productivity!). The book "Integral Biomathematics" (Simeonov, Smith, Ehresman eds., Springer 2012) also contains very interesting discussions about the Bayesian Brain. And finally CONSCIOUSNESS... how fascinating is the organizational path from molecules to consciousness--but how much can we say bout that meaningfully? Neuroinformation, echoing previous comments, appears not as a concrete thing or item but as a gigantic network of processes, a very, very big and complex phenomenon...

By the way, Carolina, there is a very interesting implicit view of yours on the relationship between experimentalists and theoreticians---may I inquire about that? But sorry, you have received too many responses... take your time!

best ---Pedro

Carolina Isiegas wrote:
Dear list,

I have been reading during the last year all these interesting exchanges. Some of them terrific discussions! Given my scientific backgound (Molecular Neuroscience), I would like to hear your point of view on the topic of neuroinformation, how information "exists" within the Central Nervous Systems. My task was experimental; I was interested in investigating the molecular mechanisms underlying learning and memory, specifically, the role of the cAMP-PKA-CREB signaling pathway in such brain functions (In Ted Abel´s Lab at the University of Pennsylvania, where I spent 7 years). I generated several genetically modified mice in which I could regulate the expression of this pathway in specific brain regions and in which I studied the effects of upregulation or downregulation at the synaptic and behavioral levels. However, I am conscious that the "information flow" within the mouse Nervous System is far more complex that in the "simple" pathway that I was studying...so, my concrete question for you "Fishers" or "Fisers", how should we contemplate the micro and macro structures of information within the neural realm? what is Neuroinformation?

Best wishes,

--
Carolina Isiegas

Pedro C. Marijuán