Dear Josh and colleagues,

I was planning to respond to Joseph's request too, but the arrival of your message has complicated my thoughts. I could not concur more forcefully with the basic contents you present! The "paradox of information" statement is terrific. Next days I will respond more cogently both to you and Joseph.
Thanks!
---Pedro

Joshua Augustus Bacigalupi wrote:
Greetings All;

I am new to your group, and am moved to contribute by the Machado passage posted by Pedro. Never have I read such a concise and eloquent rendering of how I've come to understand the dynamic physical process of mind and intelligence. The poetic focus this last week, and the thread's original "Far East" infusion, has been refreshing. However, I will try to contribute something towards a more formal expression of intelligence per Joe Brenner's suggestion.

My own research has led me to a number of realizations, not the least of which, very generally stated, is that the question of cognition, mind, and intelligence will only be understood by embracing a paradox of information - not in the the Shannon sense, but in the significance to organisms sense.

Namely, to be informed, in the sense that an agent's internal structure re-organizes so as to increase its chance of making significant choices in its indeterminate environment, is to do two seemingly contradictory things at once: 1) Re-organize so as to represent, or 'know', distinct objects and events in the agent's world that are relevant to it, and 2) Re-organize so as to represent, or 'know', the relevant inter-relations between these objects and events.

And, the crux of the paradox is that these two behaviors are /simultaneous/. Put very briefly, agents evolved to do this, I suggest, because physical reality is itself both distinct events and their inter-relations, /simultaneously/. Here in lies the numerical intractability of the /n/-body problem; because, both the barionic masses and their gravitational attributes co-exist, not as a sequential processes, but as a single unified dynamic.

It is here where I think this thread's openness to more (w)holistic world views can be very useful. Never the less, an /n/-body system, though numerically intractable, is still formally knowable to within knowable bounds. So, there is a both/and outcome, where distinct formalism, the so-called Western tradition, are employed as tools to both measure and influence the complex irreducible dynamics of self-adaptive systems.

"Wanderer, your footsteps are the road, and nothing more; wanderer, there is no road, the road is made by walking."

Celestial masses both form and are simultaneously formed by the dynamic gravitational terrain, an attribute intrinsically of the system. Similarly, I suggest that brain assemblages of neural, glial, and blood vessel cells both form and are simultaneously formed by their interstitial chemistry and fields into and out of complex terrains of mass and energy. Again, this system is intractable when assessed sequentially. There is a physical, and therefore, simultaneous dynamic between so-called parts and their whole.

"By walking one makes the road, and upon glancing behind one sees the path that never will be again. Wanderer, there is no road - only wakes upon the sea."

Amazing image. A beautiful rendering of a self-efficacious relationship between the distinct agent(s) and its(their) surroundings at every scale.

Cordially,
Josh