Pedro,
It is amazing to see Figure 6 (Prototypical signaling pathways of
multicellularity) and imagine the academic path that led to this product.
It is (no doubt) a result of interdisciplinary work between engineering,
Biology and Information Science.

Pedro can you send the reference of this image?

Kind regards
Moisés.

> Dear Alex and colleagues,
>
> Thanks for the opportunity to ad a few lines on signaling matters. I would
> not discard any organizational aspect of signaling pathways. I have put
> below a diagram that approaches the dynamics of some major ones.Your
> analogy with mobile phones would be right, provided that conversations were
> mixed, that a number of receivers were just random, and that a component of
> "experience information" would be entered too --I think it can apply to the
> dynamics of second messengers, where multitudes of microevents and pathways
> may be integrated via lots of feedbacks (See the box in the figure below).
> Symmetry is a big word concerning the organization of pathways in the
> construction of multicellular development... opposed paths, tipping points,
> collective (populational) symmetry breakings, massive feedbacks, etc.
>
> By the way, when we commented days ago on Tononi's phi, both from John
> Collier and myself, the idea was to consider it as applied to the closure
> of meaning episodes in language. How "getting" the meaning of some
> linguistic episode (eg, a joke) provokes a sudden change of transient
> connectivity between areas...
>
> Apart from meaning, it may also be interesting that there seems to be a
> strong asymmetry in between the incoming / outgoing information flows--the
> "social info loops" around. In most human organizations, the ratio is in
> between 3 and 4. It means that you and me are ordered by upper levels in
> around 80 % of our exchanges, while what we send upwards becomes a meager
> 20 %. It is from a statistics on business communication metrics. The
> generalization is far from direct, but maybe it would occur in the cells
> too--amazingly there is very little literature on cellular "signal
> emission".
>
> Anyhow, how the whole ascending and descending info flows give raise to
> all the varieties of organizational complexity is a fascinating problem,
>
> All the  best--Pedro
>

> *Figure 6: Prototypical signaling pathways of multicellularity.* From
> left to right, a stimulus in the intercellular space binds to a
> transmembrane receptor (sensor) on its extracellular domain. Upon binding,
> the receptor undergoes a transient modification of its cytoplasmic domain;
> this effect triggers a transient modification of a series of proteins in
> the cell, each one acting as an intermediate in the signal transduction
> pathway (signal processing), with characteristic hierarchies of protein
> kinases and second messengers. The last components are actuators or
> effectors that activate or inhibit proteins and channels that control
> several cellular functions, notably gene expression by means of
> transcriptional switches that may interact with several coactivator
> partners. The whole biochemical changes produced in the cell represent the
> response to the received signal —its *molecular meaning*.
>

>  El 26/04/2016 a las 10:10, Alex Hankey escribió:

> [...]

Moisés André Nisenbaum
Doutorando IBICT/UFRJ. Professor. Msc.
Instituto Federal do Rio de Janeiro - IFRJ
Campus Rio de Janeiro
moises.nisenb...@ifrj.edu.br