Dear Pedro and all,

these are some thoughts on phenomenology of life:
http://www.capurro.de/patent.html
best
Rafael
Dear Alex and colleagues,

Thanks for the opportunity to ad a few lines on signaling matters. I would not discard any organizational aspect of signaling pathways. I have put below a diagram that approaches the dynamics of some major ones.Your analogy with mobile phones would be right, provided that conversations were mixed, that a number of receivers were just random, and that a component of "experience information" would be entered too --I think it can apply to the dynamics of second messengers, where multitudes of microevents and pathways may be integrated via lots of feedbacks (See the box in the figure below). Symmetry is a big word concerning the organization of pathways in the construction of multicellular development... opposed paths, tipping points, collective (populational) symmetry breakings, massive feedbacks, etc.

By the way, when we commented days ago on Tononi's phi, both from John Collier and myself, the idea was to consider it as applied to the closure of meaning episodes in language. How "getting" the meaning of some linguistic episode (eg, a joke) provokes a sudden change of transient connectivity between areas...

Apart from meaning, it may also be interesting that there seems to be a strong asymmetry in between the incoming / outgoing information flows--the "social info loops" around. In most human organizations, the ratio is in between 3 and 4. It means that you and me are ordered by upper levels in around 80 % of our exchanges, while what we send upwards becomes a meager 20 %. It is from a statistics on business communication metrics. The generalization is far from direct, but maybe it would occur in the cells too--amazingly there is very little literature on cellular "signal emission".

Anyhow, how the whole ascending and descending info flows give raise to all the varieties of organizational complexity is a fascinating problem,

All the  best--Pedro

*Figure 6: Prototypical signaling pathways of multicellularity.*From left to right, a stimulus in the intercellular space binds to a transmembrane receptor (sensor) on its extracellular domain. Upon binding, the receptor undergoes a transient modification of its cytoplasmic domain; this effect triggers a transient modification of a series of proteins in the cell, each one acting as an intermediate in the signal transduction pathway (signal processing), with characteristic hierarchies of protein kinases and second messengers. The last components are actuators or effectors that activate or inhibit proteins and channels that control several cellular functions, notably gene expression by means of transcriptional switches that may interact with several coactivator partners. The whole biochemical changes produced in the cell represent the response to the received signal —its /molecular meaning/.