Dear Alex,

this is a very interesting story that remembers me my 'relationships' with dogs and horses in Uruguay where I was born and spent my youth in the countryside.
On weltarm:
But, on the other hand, "world-poor" does not mean, as Heidegger remarks, "that life ("Leben") with regard to human existence ("Dasein") is of a poorer quality or a lower level. Rather is life a field with an own richness of openness that probably the human world does not know about." so... there is a lot of empirical research to be done with regard to the richness of openness of animals... that is different to ours, and of course each one of us has an own range of openness and this makes human-human interplay so amazing; how far can we now about the kind of openess a bird or... a dog or... has? it is indeed amazing to experience what they understand from what we say and viceversa, although there might be also some orthogonal relationship that does not allow the other to go further... but ths happens in everyday human relationship also, doesn't it? even among scientists :-) and of course among philosophers! so looking for differences does not mean making hierarchies it just makes life more astonishing. I was reading this morning a short article on Heidegger's sources in his lectures 1929/30 where he quotes some experiments of the physiologis Albrecht Bethe and their elucidation by the biologist Emanuel Radl following the apparisal of Jakob von Uexküll dealing with te capaciy pf bees for finding their way bak (Christoph HOffmann: "Aus dem Leben der Bienen", A source of Heidegger's Examples Concerning Animal Life in the Fundamental Concepts of Metaphysics" in: Heidegger Studies 2014, vol.30, p. 205 ff. one of these sources being particualrly Karl von Firsch: The danced Language and Orientation of bees, 1927, another original source bein Ernst Wolf: Über das Heimkehrvermögen der Bienen, Zt. f. vergleich. Physiologie, vol. 6, 1927, dealing ith the retinal image formed by the compound eye of a glow worm observed aadn even (sogar) photographed . and... the isue ehter the photograph depicts or not what the glow worms sees... (this is not suggeted neitehr by von Firsch nor Exner: he Physiology of the Compound Exyes of Insects and Crustaceands, 1891) so... this was 1927... you, biologists have done amazing research in the last hundred years... Heidegger was learning from you in 1927... and I am learning also from you too
best
rafael
ps greetings from san sebastian and this amazing nature around me/us...

Dear Rafael,

I read the opinion expressed in your patent,
http://www.capurro.de/patent.html, that we can enter the world of animals
but that they are 'world-poor' (*veltarm *- Heidegger), with interest, and
the following comment.

When I made my preconference seminar presentation to the 2016 Science of
Consciousness Conference here in Tucson on Tuesday morning, one of the
seminar participants (named Bill) happened to have a pet African Gray
Parrot named Harry, and was highly amused at my descriptions taken from
Sheldrake. He added some of his own, both at my invitation in response to
his interjection, and privately the following day after one of the plenary
sessions.

He told several stories about his bird and his relationship with it. Harry
definitely likes to be treated as a 'person' and not a 'possession' or mere
'pet'. He exercises choice, and if offered the chance to accompany Bill in
his car, feels quite free to respond, 'No, you go alone', or 'I'll stay
here'.

More poignantly, he has a great sense of humour, as related in several
anecdotes, one of which was what may happen if Bill has a long, long phone
call. Harry will sometimes imitate Bill's voice and say, 'Bye, now!', and
then make the clicking sound of the phone being hung up!!!

On one occasion when this happened, Bill was in the middle of a Skype
conference call with three colleagues all in different locations /
countries (continents?). Two of them with were already familiar with
Harry's habits and antics roared with laughter, and immediately told the
third who was totally confused, 'Don't worry! That's(just) his 'bird'.' The
conference duely completed.

I have asked Bill to write me an account for publication in the
International Journal of Yoga, Physiology, Psychology and Parapsychology,
which I shall be happy to share with any Fis colleagues who are interested
at a later date. I would also request someone (possibly Maxine?) to write
me some instructions on what protocol(s) need(s) to be followed to conduct
a strict and rigorous phenomenological investigation of Harry's wonderful
abilities.

As you will have gathered, I personally think that this kind of
communication has a real relevance to the question in this webinar, because
in my (admittedly inexperienced) it does afford us a new direction and
insight into the 'phenomenology of animal life'. We already know from
published studies that gorillas have a sense of humour and know perfectly
well when they are telling lies (whether jokes or otherwise), and that this
gives distinct insight into what minds other than human minds are capable
of.

All best wishes,

Alex

P.S. Because of conference participation activities my internet connection
over the past few days has been very limited. Hence my waiting until now to
make a decent reply to this valuable comment.

I have however been a little surprised by the small number of
communications and would appreciate a little feedback:
Is the material in the first half too technical and new?
Or were the accompanying papers too long/difficult?
Does it need further expansion and explanations?
Does the material in the second half seem too unlikely / implausible?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that anyone cares to send me,
either privately or thru Fis.