Andrei, maybe the concept of message as already used by Shannon and Weaver in specific engineering contexts (this must not be always the case) is more appropriate and also able to speak about 'information' as what is 'in' a message 'for' a receiver. Best. Rafael
Hello Andrei - I am with you - sharing you sentiment. Information only pertains to living organisms and entails some signals that help them make a choice. A black hole makes no choices - it is ruled by the laws of physics. Abiotic systems have no information. A book is a set of signals that a reader can convert into information if they know the language which the book is written. A book written in Urdu contains no information for me other than this appears to be a set of signals that contains information for a reader in the language in which this book was written. Who reads a black hole. How does it contain information that makes a difference. When we launch a satellite to orbit the earth we do not say that the sun is informing the satellite how to behave. The satellite is just following the laws of physics. It has no choice and so it is not being informed. There are many different forms of information (biotic and Shannon as found in the 2007 paper Propagating Organization: An Inquiry by Kauffman, Logan et al. in Biology and Philosophy 23: 27-45) so we do not need to complicate things even more by ascribing the laws of physics as the communication of information.

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Fellow University of St. Michael's College
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan <http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan> www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications <http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications>