Dear Mark and all,

I agree with your criticisms on Floridi. My own look like this:

In his paperA defense of information structural realism (Synthese 2009, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 219-253) <http://www.philosophyofinformation.net/blog/2008/03/against-digital-ontology.html>Floridi argues that digital ontology deals with the view that "the ultimate nature of reality is digital". This is, indeed, as Floridi stresses, an uncritical pre-kantian view. But what Floridi calls "digital ontology" is in fact digital metaphysics. Using the term "ontology" with regard to his own theory, namely "informational ontology" ("the ultimate nature of reality is structural"), Floridi is no less metaphysical or pre-kantian and his argument is self-contradictory.

When I talk about digital ontology I am taking no position with regard to the digital as "the ultimate nature of reality". I am just saying that in the present age, the digital seems to be (at least it seems to me) the prevalent perspective for understanding (!) beings in their being. This is an epistemological (in Heideggerian terms: an "ontological") view, not a metaphysical (or "ontological" in Floridi's terms) one. But, indeed, this ontological perspective can become a metaphysical one. Floridi denies the legitimacy of such a digital Pythagoreism, and I agree with him in this point. But he makes the case for a kind of informational Platonism which is no less metaphysical than the digital one he criticizes. Floridi's "infosphere" is nothing but a Platonic phantasy.

more at:
http://www.capurro.de/floridi.html

best

Rafael

Dear Moises and all,

Floridi has an excellent chapter in his "philosophy of information" called "Against digital ontology". It's worth quoting the two fundamental questions he asks about digital ontology:

"a. whether the physical universe might be adequately modelled digitally and computationally, independently of whether it is actually digital and computational in itself;

b. whether the ultimate nature of the physical universe might be actually digital and computation in itself, independently of how it can be effectively or adequately modelled." (Floridi, "Philosophy of Information", p320)

My point is that this stuff is highly speculative. Of course, it might be argued that "it from qbit" is fundamentally different from "it from bit". But is it really? Quantum computers look rather like parallel processors, don't they? Also the emphasis on relations rather than atoms (qbits) in the article is interesting, but it looks like there is still an atomistic logic behind it. It's the stuff of computer science - even if it's quantum computer science.

I might struggle to see the point - even if I'm happy that physicists are talking about information. If anybody was to communicate this in a way that helps me see why this matters, they would probably have to amplify their descriptions - in effect, add redundancy in their descriptions. In this particular case, I think that would be very difficult.

Curiously, in the recent discussion on this list about the additional layer of information in DNA (http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-confirm-a-second-layer-of-information-hiding-in-dna), I think it would be easier to amplify the descriptions.

Best wishes,

Mark