Dear Karl and Pedro,

A unifying principle underlies the organization of physical and biological
systems. It relates to a well-known topological theorem which succinctly states
that an activity on a planar circumference projects to two activities with
“matching description” into a sphere. Here we ask: what does “matching
description” mean? Has it something to do with “identity”? Going through
different formulations of the principle of identity, we describe diverse
possible meanings of the term “matching description”. We demonstrate that the
concepts of “sameness”, “equality”, “belonging together” stand for intertwined
levels with mutual interactions. By showing that “matching” description is a
very general and malleable concept, we provide a novel testable approach to
“identity” that yields helpful insights into physical and biological matters.
Indeed, we illustrate how a novel mathematical approach derived from the
Borsuk-Ulam theorem, termed bio-BUT, might explain the astonishing biological
“multiplicity from identity” of evolving living beings as well as their
biochemical arrangements.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610717302055

> Il 1 febbraio 2018 alle 17.16 Karl Javorszky <karl.javors...@gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
>     Biodiversity and Cartography
>

>     The excellent summary by Pedro of the session just past highlights
> several different areas of processes, which appear to be interrelated at
> least in some methodological ways. Pedro says in effect: “… systems such as
> circulatory, pulmonary, renal, brain, etc. …” appear to work in a comparable
> fashion, which has probably to do with fusing of two different spaces into
> one common space.
>

>     Please allow me to propose a visualisation. We see a landscape with hills
> and valleys. Some local biotopes have evolved, in which specific flora and
> fauna are endemic, well adapted to their respective local circumstances. We
> suspect that there are common traits present in the management of the diverse
> habitats, with some obviously sustainable feedback loops – otherwise the area
> would be barren. In this allegory, if one investigates the functions in
> circulatory systems, one would be likened to someone investigating insect
> life in a rainy forest in a division of our imagined landscape. A person
> looking into the workings of the renal systems could be seen as a team
> investigating the life of mammals in a savanna.
>

>     Among these field workers, a land surveyor tries to find someone who
> would be interested in a new way to formalise the parameters of each and all
> of the habitats, and tabulate every possible variety of anything that lives
> in any of the habitats. This invention is way beyond the needs of any of the
> field teams investigating the adaptations the fauna had to undergo due to the
> properties of the flora, or partly the other way around. The teams have heard
> about trigonometry and satellite positioning, but they are not involved with
> the infrastructure of science. It would take a road building engineer to see
> slopes and angles everywhere, and of that profession are the biologists not.
> The teams could have heard about continual change, because they understand
> that change is what life is all about, but they had never thought to be
> possible to actually use measurable change tools like one uses a scalable
> microscope.
>

>     Trigonometry would have remained a special pastime for scientists, had
> not lenses, oculars and sextants been produced to the necessary degree of
> mechanical precision. For the applications of trigonometry to become
> ubiquitous in our everyday life, it was necessary to have achieved progress
> in fine mechanics and precision measurement tools. The technology had to keep
> step with the ideas. Both the ideas were present and the tools have become
> available. The innovation could become integrated into the culture.
>

>     Presently, we try to understand the concept of information. In Pedro’s
> words: “… two 3D projections are fused into a 4D one. The gain in information
> [...]

Arturo Tozzi

AA Professor Physics, University North Texas

Pediatrician ASL Na2Nord, Italy

Comput Intell Lab, University Manitoba

http://arturotozzi.webnode.it/