Hi Piotr,

On 10/27/07, Piotr Lesnicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi,
>
> First of all, congrats: just discovered fish and i'm having fun trying it !!

Glad to hear it!

> A few questions and remarks:
>
> - I don't understand the multiline editing for things other than
> function/loops, eg :
>    ls \
>    -l
>   doesn't work as "ls -l" ?! An I need multiline for clearer scripts

This is how I personally expect things to work. I expect a backlashed
newline to be the same thing as a real newline except it doesn't cuase
the command to exit right now. But I may be in a minority, dunno. Most
shellscript languages seem to do what you expect, but e.g. CPP does
what I expect.

> - I think I have a bug on Macos X with macport fish 1.22.3 r{0,1} :
> "echo (seq 3)" or "for i in (seq 3)..."  will 'freeze' fish while in
> interactive mode (so in eval, but not with fish -c).  Sorry for not
> having looked at the code, but I saw that sources from darcs
> repository weren't compiling straightforwardly, I will try the iconv
> patch, etc.. later...

I can't reproduce this on my system and I don't have easy access to
any OS X system at the moment. Can anyone else on the list with an OS
X machine confirm this issue?

> - Fish help facilities are great ! One thing though: hypertext is
> great, but I don't like it openned *by default* out of the term I'm
> in, somewhere out there in a graphical browser...

That's easy to fix! :-)

set -U BROWSER links

should do the trick...

> - two things that I miss from my zsh config:
>  1)the right prompt, i saw it's on your plans, that would be my top wish :)

The current devel version of fish has something different with mostly
the same advantages. If you are writing a command which becomes too
long to fit on the line, the prompt will automatically move to a line
of it's own, giving the shellscript code the entire screen width to
itself. This is of course not the same thing, but hopefully it's good
enough until someone implements a right hand side prompt. Personally,
I've found it to be a very nice feature.

>  2)<tab><tab> picking one from the proposed completions and rotates,
> when I'm really lazy taping....

I've though a lot about that. I definitly want some interface where
you can pick one of the available completions, but I'm not really sure
that is the right interface. Perhaps something more like a completion
pager that allows you to select one completion. Different ideas have
been tossed around here on the list. Not sure where it will lead, but
I hope we'll get _something_ one of these days. :-/

> Otherwise, I really like the ideas of homogenity, minimality and
> extensibility by keeping most things as extension in shell scripts.

Me to!

Axel