On Jan 21, 2008 7:34 PM, Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One simple solution is to disable with the X clipboard by sending
> --without-xsel to configure. This means fish won't share the clipboard
> with X, butmaybe that isn't such a big deal? Does X share the
> clipboard with the rest of the GUI?

Yes, it does. I'm not particularly worried about the clipboard
functionality. If I want to copy something from a terminal, I'll grab
the mouse and copy it from the terminal. I just don't want X starting
every time I clear a line of text. --without-xsel sounds like it'll do
the trick, thanks!

> That's weird. According to darcs, the last change to that file is from
> 2007-01-07, which is before the previos fish release...
>
> Perhaps the output of apropos is what has changed?

After poking around at it some more, you're definitely right. The
problem is that there's more broken apropos formats that aren't parsed
right. The two that I've managed to track down are:

1) Man pages for commands that are in subsections. This is easy enough
to fix. For example:
lastwords(1m)            - print syscalls before exit. Uses DTrace

This is clearly a valid command, so I think the solution is to match
the section with ([18][[:alpha:]]*) instead of just ([18]).

2) Man pages with alternative names with just plain weird formatting.
Perl seems to be the biggest culprit here:
perllexwarn(1), Xref "warning(1), lexical warnings warning"
perllexwarn(1) - Perl Lexical Warnings

I'm not even sure how to fix this. The easiest answer is to be a lot
more strict about what we accept as a "command name" (IE,
alphanumerics plus dashes and underscores only, no spaces or symbols,
or even just no spaces), but I'm not sure if that excludes actual
in-use command names. Is this a sane restriction?

Ideally, we wouldn't have to parse apropos output to get this
information, since it varies widely from system to system and even
program to program. It's particularly funky on Solaris. I can't find
any other way to get at this information, so I guess we're stuck with
it.

> Actually, it's a variation on a general bug. PWD might have the wrong
> value under any platform. :-/

Well, it seems to be fixed in darcs now, so I guess it's no longer a problem?

Except prompt_pwd was broken in darcs and was printing every path
element twice. IE, /usr/usr. So I've fixed that instead and sent the
patch to the list.

--
-Nick Pilon