I wonder if you've got an older version of rbenv installed, that doesn't have
fish shell support yet. That support is pretty new.

What does `rbenv init -` output? How about if you run it as `./bin/rbenv init -
fish`? What we're looking for is whether it shows bash-style output (export...)
or fish-style (setenv...)