I've managed to get the rbenv shims working (via
https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv/issues/195#issuecomment-6168636), but
it's still using the bash-style output.

In my config.fish file, instead of `rbenv init - | source` I added this:

set PATH $HOME/.rbenv/bin $PATH
set PATH $HOME/.rbenv/shims $PATH
rbenv rehash >/dev/null ^&1

However, it's still using the bash-style output (export...):

rbenv init -

export PATH="/Users/burnettr/.rbenv/shims:${PATH}"
rbenv rehash 2>/dev/null
rbenv() {
  typeset command
  command="$1"
  if [ "$#" -gt 0 ]; then
    shift
  fi

  case "$command" in
  rehash|shell)
    eval `rbenv "sh-$command" "$@"`;;
  *)
    command rbenv "$command" "$@";;
  esac
}

...good news is the rbenv shims are working:

echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin
/Users/burnettr/.rbenv/shims
/Users/burnettr/.rbenv/bin
/Users/burnettr/.node/bin
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/git/bin

Any ideas how to get the fish-style (setenv...) output?