On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Simon Lees <si...@simotek.net> wrote:

> On 01/16/2016 01:33 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote:
>
> I heartily recommend replacing the IRC channel with the gitter.im public
> room. It's tight integration with GitHub is a huge positive IMO. Updating
> the documentation is easy. What else needs to be done? For example, what
> about the travis-ci messages? How hard would it be to create a bot to
> respond to any new message on IRC #fish with the gitter.im URL?
>
> The downside to that is for those of us that use IRC heavily its one more
> place to monitor presumably from another client or tool (worse if its a
> browser) I must say despite the fact im frequently in upto 20 IRC channels
> #fish is the only one in OFTC rather then freenode.

I share your concerns. I too feel that some apps need more than a web
browser UI. And gitter.im does provide native clients for Mac OS X,
Android, etcetera. I've tested those and didn't find any obvious problems.
In my $day job the GitHub integration provided by gitter.im isn't
compelling which is why we still use IRC (not to mention we have our own
IRC servers which logs all the text and makes it searchable). But for the
fish-shell project something like gitter.im (or the fish-users mailing
list) is preferable to raw IRC.

--
Kurtis Rader