This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd like to join the discussion with Ruthie and Beth on the matter of
stallion prevalence and our evaluation system.  Ruthie does have a legitimate
concern.  There's one very simple way we could monitor our registry for this
problem
-- publish annual breeding statistics.  I am not suggesting that any
individual identifiers would be attached, but certainly the Registry receives
stallion
reports and can release an aggregate report.  I suspect that the Registrar has
some inkling on the appropriate measurement units (i.e. 1 or 2 mares, 3 - 5
mares, etc.)  It would be helpful to know if 2 or 3 stallions are breeding a
significant portion of the mares being bred in a given year.

On the matter if evaluations, I do agree with Beth that they are educational.
 I certainly have never heard any suggestion not to breed a red ribbon horse.
 I distinctly recall evaluators making suggestions about what type of mating
could improve a particular horse.

That being said, I do have some real concerns about support for the
evaluation system itself.  I've been involved with the planning of two
evaluations and
frankly, the NFHR's concern over losing money on an evaluation has created
many problems.  BTW, I am not advocating that the NFHR should be fiscally
irresponsible, but this "Brigadoon" system of holding evaluations has to go.
Until
the NFHR members can be sure that evaluations are going to be held when and
where stated, it's going to be hard to support the system.

I'd also like to see the Evaluation Committee publish its rule changes for
member comment WELL BEFORE an Evaluation.  This has been a major problem in the
past.  There is one announced evaluation for 2005 at this time.  I'd like to
be know now what rules are in effect for the 2005 evaluations.

I do appreciate that the EC is a volunteer committee, but it needs to be more
responsive to the membership if it expects us to support the evaluation
system.  Somehow the evaluations have to become more user friendly if they are
be widely embraced.

Margaret Bogie
Ironwood Farm
Rixeyville, VA