This message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Teressa Kandianis wrote:

I don't know what level Grand Prix is
myself, but with the best walk of all, I'm guessing its an upper
level??

Hi Teressa,

Thanks for posting that about Anne & Wez. Glad to hear they made such a great impression on your friends from the barn. Grand Prix is indeed the highest level in dressage. Not many horses of any breed will make it to Grand Prix - we should all be SO PROUD of Wez! And of Anne for getting there with him, because not many riders will get to that level either. It takes a lot of years of training and perserverance.

When your friends noticed that Wez had the best walk of all the demonstration horses that day (YAY!) they are looking at several qualities. In all paces the most important quality is the purity of the rhythm. In walk you want to see an even four beats. Most Fjords I've seen DO have a good rhythmical four beat walk, that is a trait in the breed that we definitely want to be aware of and preserve. Some horses with a not-so-good walk can lose that 4-beat rhythm, and instead start to move the legs on the same side in close unison, and almost appear to pace. Sometimes this is caused by tension. A tense horse will have a hurried rushed look to the walk which is undesirable, you want relaxation and long, loose, free steps in that clear four beat rhythm.

You want the walk to look like it is going somewhere, activity and march are words you will hear to describe a good walk. In the free and extended walk you also want to see a clear over-track, where the hind foot is landing past the print left by the fore hoof. Some of the bigger moving horses, like some warmbloods, will have a huge amount of over-track in the walk, and the judges love that. The problem is that when you try to collect or even organize their walk a bit, they can tend to get lateral or pacey.

FEI judge Dr. Volker Moritz told us at our Symposium last year "You can't make a bad natural walk good, but you can ruin a good natural walk". (by mistakes in riding and training)

Lori

Lori Albrough
Bluebird Lane Fjords
Moorefield, Ontario