This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Is it possible to do it TOO often and iritate the skin, removing all of the
harmless but "protective" bacteria?

 Betadine scrub seems harsh.  "Excaliber" sheath cleaner with Tea tree oil
is a lot milder, yet even that needs to be thoroughly rinsed out or it can
"scald".. I have noticed "scalding" on my gelding's  "private part" from
not rinsing well... The skin peeled.  You might just rinse out the sheath
using a hose with warm water every few days or so and avoid the betadine
for a while and see how that goes.

Any advice from the vets and others?

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, wher it was +50 yesterday but back to normal
temps tomorrow with some snow :-(

At 09:07 PM 3/25/99 EST, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>    So I am not the only Fjord owner with the sheath cleaning problem. Noboby
>else at the stable lars lives in cleans their horse's sheath. They get done
>twice a year, by the vet, if they're lucky. I need to do Lars on a two week
>cycle,
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]