This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

---Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> At 08:34 AM 2/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" look back
> >to where they came from - Norway that you won't find many breeders
there
> >that are putting 10 - 20 foals on the ground a year either.  Most
are the 1
> >or 2 foals a year type of operation.
>
> I have the imported mare Stella (Stella II in NFHR) who was imported
from
> Norway in l981 by the Unraus.  At the Libby Show in l991  I met Jon
Hegdal
> of the Norges Fjordhestlag and when he learned I had Stella, he said
that
> the family that had bred her would like to know about her, what had
> happened to her, that most Fjord breeders iin Norway were just small
> "back-yard" breeders raising only one or two foals a year and the
horses
> were like members of the family.

Interesting you mention corresponding with Stella's "family" in
Norway.  When David Klove was here in the US the last time - or maybe
the time before, I forget - he told me that Line's Norwegian owner (a
very elderly gentleman at the time) would love to hear about her
American home.  He sent me the man's address when he returned to
Norway and I sent the man an update on Line, with pictures.  David
assured me there would be someone to translate the English for him, as
I don't write in Norwegian.  It does seem that the Backyard Breeder
(so to speak) is alive and well in Norway.  After all, the horses
there are part of the family and share in the work, as well as the
pleasure - as do "family work horses" of all breeds all over the
world.  We here in America are the "different" ones I'm afraid.

Mary
==
Mary Thurman
Raintree Farms