This message is from: Lindsay&Jim Sweeney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 09:49 AM 2/23/99 -0600, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juliane Deubner)
>
>Hi, I am new to this interesting forum. I own 3 fjord mares, 9, 5 and 3
>years old.
>I would like to hear your opinions on when (at what age) you start your
>young horses to ride and/or drive. Fjords mature late - so I start mine
>later at 3.5-4 years of age, but don't really ask a lot of them until they
>are 5-6 years old.
>But recently I read about a fjord, that was ridden at age 2...
>Looking forward to hearing from you
>Juliane
>

>Hello Juliane,
        Now this is a topic that needs addressing for sure.  I am of a like mind
with you and Anneli.  I figure any horse that has this much bone and muscle
mass must take longer to mature than say a TB or QH that is considered
ready to show or race by age two.  Of course, in that industry the horses
are pretty well spent by the age that our Fjords are even considered full
grown, 5-6 years.  Most other Sport Horse types or warmblood breeds do not
even start training under saddle until the growth plates in the kness have
solidified like around 7 years old for some Trakehners I know! Most upper
level dressage horses are at their peak performance only when they are in
their late teens, it takes that long to train them to that level and when
they can't get started until the horse matures enough physically and
mentally.  It must be worth the wait! Maybe people here do it to make a
little extra sale and an unknowing buyer might think this is a benefit but
I think we've seen it happen more often than not that these youngsters
can't handle the job at such a young age and who gets blamed?  Why the poor
innocent baby Fjord Horse of course and sometimes the whole breed!!   Also,
if Fjords live so long, what is the hurry?  Only in America would breeders
and trainers consider it a plus to be ridden at age two for this type of
horse.  Has anyone dicovered the site of the Dutch registry that has an
ongoing list of the oldest living Fjords (I saw Line's name on there, you
go Girl!) the oldest mares listed there are foaled in 1963!!  That makes
then 35 years old!!!  Talk about getting your money's worth, many Fjords in
this country will out live their owners then won't people be surprised.  I
know of people who have retired their Fjords in their late teens, Yikes!
those owners will be looking at some very bored Fjords for a whole lot of
years, maybe they can reconsider!?! There are so very many fun and stress
free things that you can do to make your Fjord youngsters a dream to
handle, like going for a walk on the lead with the family and dogs in the
woods, maybe even on a picnic, (Fjords love bread, has anyone else
discovered this, especially the European imports?  I was told that these
horses are fed bread on their flight over!)  If we could all just take a
deep breath and slow this freight train down there's no question in my mind
that the beneficiaries would be the Fjord Horses themselves!  What are
other breeders and trainers thinking on this topic, it's something to think
about for sure.  Fjords are patient, and considerate and we should be too!
Just because this breed is so tractable and rugged does not give us the
right to exploit them just for financial gain.  Consider yourself and your
Fjord lucky, Juliane.
>       How about your two cents worth?, there's mine!
                                                                -Lindsay Sweeney