Challenge.  There are a lot of questions that need to be answered, and I'm
hoping some of the people going to Norway will ask those questions and get
the answers.

#1 -  How old are the majority of stallions doing the trotting test?  I
know that Gjest was four years.

#2  - Is the test begun at a trot or a standstill?  I would imagine it
would have to be from the trot, but let's get that from the Norwegians.

#3 -  Why don't they record the stallion's fastest time in their Studbook?
Gjest's time is recorded at 2.40, not 2.12.

#4 -  Do they ever do this trotting test with mares or geldings?

#5 -  Do the four year olds outperform the three year olds?  Or vice versa?

To reiterate Arthur and my reasons for promototing the GJEST CHALLENGE,
they are:

1.  To promote and perpetuate the Fjord's heritage as an excellent trotting
breed.

2.  To determine just how fast, and how well Fjords trot compared to other
breeds of their approximate size.

3.  To give Fjord owners a challenge, and to provide good-spirited
competition in the old-time tradition of village harness racing, although,
of course, what we have in mind at the moment, is not "harness racing" in
the sense of a group of horses racing against each other, but a single
horse racing against the clock.

Members of the list have asked a couple of times if the Gjest Challenge was
open only to stallions and we've replied, NO!  It's open to all genders.  I
think it will be fun to see just what gender has the most speed, if in
fact, it can be gender related at all.  And it will be particularly
interesting to see what the geldings do, as geldings normally are not raced
. . . as far as I know.  In any case, it's going to be interesting.
Perhaps Gjest's reputed 2.12 time will be beaten early on.  That's just a
figure.  As I've said previously, I don't know if that's really fast or
not.  All I know is that it's a record for young stallions in Norway.
Perhaps seven year old stallions can do better.  Hopefully, we'll find out.

 Years ago, it may have been 1988, I initiated a class at the Woodstock, VT
Fjord Show which was something like the Gjest Challenge.  It was based on
the Trotting Test they do in Norway. Woodstock has a very nice, very big,
oval ring.  We figured out that four times around the ring was roughly a
kilometer.  So, each horse entering the class trotted at speed four times
around the ring, hopefully, not cutting too many corners, and the time was
taken.  I forget exactly how we determined the divisions.  I think there
were older stallions and younger ones, and same for the mares.  I don't
remember if there were geldings competing.

I drove Gjest, and it was one of the thrills of my life.  Also, one of the
scariest times as I thought for sure we'd tip over as we blazed around in
our heavy Meadowbrook cart.  Gjest won the class, by a good margin, as I
remember.  Arthur was standing at ringside, and he still chuckles recalling
almost everyone saying, "That horse is going to break."  "He'll break for
sure."  He's got to break."  And Gjest's former trainer, Charlie Ballou,
was standing there saying, "He won't break.  He never breaks!"  And he
didn't break.  And later, I talked with another man who'd been at ringside,
a Standardbred owner and trainer.  This man was fascinated with Gjest's
shoulder action.  He said, "That's exactly the shoulder action we try our
darndest to breed into Standardbreds."

Later that day, I drove our mare, Uloza, in the same class, but in the
Mare's Division.  Uloza was eleven years old at the time, and had birthed
at least eight foals. I've forgotten exactly how many.  That didn't slow
her down at all.  She won her class, but the exciting thing was her time
was only a few seconds slower than the five year old stallion, Karibu, at
that time owned by Phil Prichard.  --  That mare would probably have left
Karibu in the dust if it had been a "level playing field", so to speak.  I
mean if they were the same age, and if she hadn't had eight foals.

I don't know why this class wasn't continued at the Woodstock Show.  It
certainly generated a lot of interest amongst owners and spectators.
Everybody likes a speed class.

Best Regards,  Carol Rivoire

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II