This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The cold wave that has settled over most of Alaska looks like it will be
staying awhile, and the longer it stays, the more problems people will be
having with their horses.

I got a call this morning from my friend, Gail Tobin, saying that they had
hauled one of their Fjord to the vet last night, with colic due to
impaction.  They have three fjords geldings and Fenrir, the oldest had the
problem, which the vet identified as impaction due to not drinking enough
water.  They have a large stock tank with a floating heater, which keeps it
from freezing but the water is about 36 degrees (F).  Our vet said that
the water should be at least 50 degrees to keep the horses drinking as much
as they should.
Fenrir seems to be doing OK, after the vet ran an IV and rehydrated him.
However, I am sure there will be more cases of impaction in horses around
town with this long spell of cold.

I noticed that my horses aren't drinking as mauch as usual, even tho the
water feels almost lukewarm to me.  They don't lick on the salt blocks as
much in the cold.  So I took out several buckets of lukewarm water  in
which I had put some  salt and sugar (a handfull of each).  The horses
eagerly guzzled their slightly sweet and salty drink, with four fjords
emptying three five gallon buckets.

My fjords get plenty of exercise, playing a couple times a day and I'm sure
that will help their gut function as it should.

About the nasal passages and panting...when it warmed up to 50 degrees in
March one year, Bjarne, with the thickest coat of all, just stood around
and sort of panted through his nose, sort of shallow  pants, which would
put the most air across the blood vessels in his nostrils. I am afraid he
would never pass the P&R checks in a competitive ride!

Jean In Fairbanks, Alaska, -40 and dropping and I'm getting tired of this
cold!

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]