This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jean gayle)

Hi.  For years I have been surprised to hear that no one knew the cause for
tying up.  I have wondered if what happened to my Trakehner might be a
"missing link", which I have called him on occasion.  When he was seven, he
is now 17, he suffered from chronic pharyngitis (sp) and I had heard of a
company in Fla who had developed a shot that stimualated the immune system.
Immunostim????  I asked my vet, who never read directions, and he ordered
some.  He came out to administer the shot  and we were working Charlie in
the arena.  I pointed out that the directions said the shot should be given
with a course of antibiotics but he said that was not necessary.  After the
shot he said it would be okay for us to continue working the horse.  After
about twenty minutes I noticed he was cantering rather like a dog.  A very
awkward gait and then he stopped entirely.

We watched in grave concern as it became obvious he was tying up.  That is
difficult to witness as the conformation of the horse changes and their eye
reflects their anxiety and pain.  This horse had never shown any symptoms of
tying up ever and never since.  I called the (#&^$%) vet who came back and
gave him a relaxant shot and left, saying he would have to put in his papers
that he ties up.  I threatened to put something in his papers at the time,
and I meant our newspaper.   It took Charlie about an hour to relax and then
he was stiff for severaly days.  Then he was perfectly alright and went on
to become a great dressage horse until an injury.   I also feel I later
cured his pharyngitis with vitamin C powder over a three to four month
period.  Maybe not, but he ceased to have it by then.

Could stimulating the immune system or something in that shot be a key to
tying up?
Curious Jean in Aberdeen
Jean Gayle  --- A Subscriber at Techline