This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Meredith Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I hate the expense and bother of horse shoes [...]  driveway is gravel
> [...]  trails are rocky in spots - sharp chert and hard granite, not
> shale or sandstone.  So, I was thinking about buying her some Easy
> Boots
>
> Has anyone on the list used them on a Fjord?????

Occasionally---usually when one of them jerks a shoe, although I also
had to use them on Sleepy when I had him barefoot one winter---he just
couldn't take walking to/from pastures on our gravel roads.

> Did you like them?????
> If so ... are they a permanent item in your barn?????
> If not ... where did they fail?????
> Are they hard to fit to the fjord foot?????
> Are they difficult to take on and off every time you want to go out on
> the trail?????

They are a necessary evil.  I keep them around because Sleepy is
talented at taking shoes off in the winter mud, and his (and Nansy's,
on the rare instances she jerks a shoe) feet fall apart on my gravel
if he's barefoot for even a few days.

They do not fit my Fjords well.  I have sizes 2 and 3, but actually
need about 2.2 and 2.7.  It is a real pain to try to stuff a big round
hoof into a boot that's a little too narrow.  Cinching down a slightly
oversized boot leaves a lot hanging out the back; Sleepy is even more
talented at stepping on the backs of his Easy Boots and peeling them
off than on his regular shoes.  The one Fjord that I have who can keep
Easy Boots on is the one whose hooves don't need them!  (I've had best
success keeping boots on by first creating a "sock" of duct tape on
the hoof---not something I'd want to do long term.)

I suppose that if one used them a lot, taking them on and off would
become more routine; I find it to be a pain.  I understand that many
of the endurance riders use them with "garters"---a safety strap so
that WHEN the horse jerks the boot off, it stays attached to the leg.
That way, the rider can dismount and quickly put the boot back on,
rather than having to waste time searching for the boot---which
usually comes off in a river, mud puddle, etc.

It may be that, if one gets custom-made boots, things work better.  An
acquaintance who had a carriage concession used them instead of
shoes---less concussion and better traction on pavement, and they wore
out at about the same rate.  Of course, he had "ordinary" horses....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------