This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Alison Barr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I find that geldings are much more placid than mares [...]  I find
> that they bond better with you than mares.

Interesting---my experience has been exactly the opposite!  My old
Nansy mare is the one who whinneys a greeting when I go out to the
barn, and the one who comes first when I call them back in from
pasture.  I've never seen any behaviors from her that I would consider
hormone related.  She's always there, steady and dependable---doing
her job.

Our two geldings, on the other hand, are always bickering.  They take
each others' fly masks off (often shredding them in the process),
play-fighting.  They bite big tufts of hair out of each other.  Twice,
Sleepy has actually bitten chunks out of Rom's ears!  And, if another
horse that we meet out on the trail looks crossways at Sleepy, he
jumps out from under me---trying to avoid what he thinks is going to
be an "attack".

I suspect it's an individual thing.  But, I know that a sample size
of 3 doesn't give me very reliable statistics....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------