This message is from: Northhorse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In a message dated 98-05-26 18:03:20 EDT,
Cynthia_Madden/OAA/UNO/[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I'm afraid I was losing my
 temper with him yesterday and we got into fights. I lost. Now I need to
 recover my dignity. Give me some advice on getting them to cross water.  >>

Did this with my Arab, 20 years ago.  Got him used to crossing streams,
waterfalls, and into the ocean in Malibu!  It was a blast.  Start off small.
Create little puddles that he MUST cross to get to his feed.  Lots of times
they don't like to go in puddles if they can't see the bottom.  It's a good
self-preservation instinct.  They don't know how deep the whole is.  Do a LOT
of groundwork on this, making more frequent puddles, larger ones, creating
little streams in your yard (a pain, but it is effective).  Praise each baby
step, and someday you may cross  large streams, etc.  Good luck.  Each horse
is different, so this is only one approach, it may or may not work with your
horse.

Pamela