This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> When I bought my fjords I was told to never feed them alfalfa and I
> haven't.  But here in Las Cruces that's all I can find.  [...]  Can
> fjords eat alfalfa?  I'm running out of hay fast (6 bales left)

I'm in the "don't feed them alfalfa" camp.  It's too "dense" in
calories, i.e. if you feed them a "full sized" ration, they turn into
blimps; if you cut back to the number of calories they need, they
don't get enough "chewing satisfaction", so take up eating the barn
and/or fences, each others' manes, etc.

Folks on the LONGEARS list who live in your area have a similar
problem finding appropriate hay for their donkeys and mules.  When
they can't get timothy hay (it's trucked in from Colorado), they feed
a little alfalfa (for nutrition) with a lot of something "filling",
like straw.  One of them even goes out hunting tumbleweeds (yup, dead,
dry, rolling ones), which she brings home to let her critters munch
on!

If you must feed alfalfa, try to get it from a cutting that's not so
lusciously leafy.  Fjords would do better on stemmy hay (but watch out
for anything moldy).

It used to be that, around here, the only choices were alfalfa hay, or
oat hay (both too rich for my easy keepers).  I contacted the local
Farm Supply, and asked if they knew anyone baling "pasture hay" for
their cattle.  They did, and I bought from him for years.  Now, due to
increased demand, most of the hay stores at least carry timothy hay,
or rye grass, or orchard grass.  Anyway, keep bugging your hay stores
about wanting GRASS hays.  And, see what you can do thru other
channels, like ranchers.

"Good hunting"!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.