This message is from: "Rebekah Blaisdell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I might look at some dressage saddles. They should be made so you can really feel the horses movements, and they are deep like western saddles. I find them really comfortable, but that is me. The one I use fits my stocky fjord mare.
Rebekah

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help!
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:24:39 EST

This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello everyone,

I am hoping some of you can help me sort out this saddle problem I am having. I am a beginner rider, and I mean BEGINNER. I am 36, about 5'10", and use a
17" seat.  At least, that is what we think from measuring saddles.

As a child, I had three riding experiences, all a bit on the scary side, and
I suppose to watch, entertaining side.  A lot of that had to do with the
approach of throwing me in the saddle, handing me the reins, then
saying....Off you go!  HA

When we got our first Fjords home, two were purchased specifically for me to learn to ride on, plus the fact I simply adore these two mares. One is 13.3,
very drafty, 1400 pounds.  The other is 13.1, on the drafty side, but still
petite, if that makes a lick of sense.  My husband is a firm believer in
starting a new rider bareback, and I was ok with that....had a great deal of fun! I could feel the horse move, feel her stride and overall, and felt very secure. There was a "connection". So, off we went to purchase a saddle. I
prefer Western.  We tried a reining saddle first, no good.  Did not fit
either mare.  For me, it was kind of comfortable, but also, seemed to
prohibit me feeling the horse. So, we traded it in for a Circle Y, Park and Ride (or something like that). HA Never again! The tree was twisted, which
caused me to tilt to the left, which was very frightening.  Also, it was
so.......thick I guess is the right word, I could not feel either mare, and
was terrified of falling off because I could not feel them move.  Also, the
sides were so broad that I could not get my legs close to the horse....very
scary to me.  Does this make any sense?  I brought the saddle back.

The tack stores are stuck, not sure if they should suggest ordering me a
special saddle, go English, go reining, or what.  I have sat in countless
saddles in the store, and did not like any of them, with the exception of a
few of the Western ones without a skirt.  Supposedly, they do not come in
wide trees. My husband believes comfort for horse and rider is the key, but he is not too sure which direction to suggest, either. Nor am I sure what to
do...seems like I cannot find a saddle to fit both me and my mares.  I am
most comfortable bareback, but that is not really an option forever. Someone has suggested I begin with an English saddle, then progress to Western. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or on what type of saddles could possibly
work that would fit my mares plus allow me to feel them?  I seem to really
need to feel them to feel secure.

I would appreciate any input.

Lynda
Bailey's Norwegian Fjord Horse Farm