This message is from: " Dave McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have at times found the far reaches of political correctness a bit
tiresome, but I guess it certainly depends on one's perspective.  I see this
in my reaction to an Amish joke, which bothers me in its grotesque
misunderstanding of these people.  In the past decade I have become friends
with a number of Amish people, have eaten at their tables and stayed in
their houses.  I have found them characteristically kind, good humored,
sensible, tolerant, humble, and engaged in a lifestyle that rejects the
allure of Chevvies or Lexusses.  They are deeply family and community
oriented.  Many are fond of their horses, and handle them skillfully.  Some
are not and treat them with an indifference similar to someone who doesn't
change oil in cars.  They live in a country that finds their lifestyle
incomprehensible, a country which at times finds them cute and at others
threateningly different.  They live a very conscious lifestyle which I find
in some ways attractive and in others not, sometimes makes sense and
sometimes doesn't.  The lifestyles of the rest of us probably come up
similar on this test.Their own children, if it doesn't make sense to them,
are free to choose not to be Amish, and from what I could see were not
condemned for that.

I think of a friend whose little son broke his arm.  They struggled their
way through the medical system, and came out with both a decent fix and a
huge bill.  Now, a year later he's still working hard to pay off that bill.

I think of a group of young girls in their cotton dresses giggling at their
images in the side of a red Ford belonging to a visiting relative.

I hear the story of a friend's friend, killed in her buggy by a car, leaving
5 young children.

I think of a group of men at a house auction, shrewd, hardworking men, all
dressed alike in blues and black, who were mostly there for the social
event.

All in all I think they are pretty cool people since they travel by horse
and wagon!  BTW I am not so much under their spell that I believe an
Amish-trained horse is automatically attractive.  It doesn't mean more to me
than if one was trained by a Presbyterian.  Some are good with horses, some
aren't.

I don't at all mean to direct this at whoever posted the joke (which I think
I've seen posted about six times now,), but just to offer something about
these people who deserve our tolerance, if not our respect.