This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It is WATER Hemlock that is deadly poison, the root especially.  The plant
looks like a tall parsnip-like plant, and it is in the parsley family.  A
similar plant is the cow parsnip, common in coastal areas of Southeast
Alaska and British Comumbia, is edible.  The big tell-tale difference is in
the root..the poison hemlock has a root that is "Partioned".  This was the
plant Socrates used.  The Hemlock TREE is a evergreen tree much like the
spruce, etc. and is not poisonous. It is used for lumber.  The Yew, which
can be a common ornamental shrub, is poisonous.

End of Botany Lesson 101!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, still mild, above freezing.

At 07:20 PM 10/5/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Hogfuel---hemlock---I have Hemlock trees and the horses chew on the bark
>etc.  Don't you mean another tree or shrub?   Jean
>

>Jean Gayle
>Aberdeen, WA
>[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
>Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]