This message is from: "Carl and Sarah Nagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>This message is from: "Brigid Verry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Hi Everyone,
>I have just joined the mailing list and would like some help.  I
like what I have read about the breed in my search for a breed of
>horse/pony that is suitable for small kids to gain their confidence and
>then go on to have a lovely riding pony to do things on.
>Are the Fjords too strong for small children?

Dear Brigid,

Our family very much depends on our Fjords for teaching our kids about
horses.  This was one of the reasons we selected Fjords as a breed.  We had
a 25 year old mare with perfect manners and who was able to stand patiently
and move carefully and gently around the kids (5 and 7).  At the same time,
you must always approach teaching the kids the basic safety and handling
rules that pertain to all horses.  We now have a 16 year old mare who is
patient and kind and actually loves all the attention bestowed on her by my
youngsters, but I notice that she moves more quickly and yet seems very
aware of the kids and is careful with them.  Our yearling is much more
energetic, and yet he also will slow down and put his head down to be near
the kids ... the Fjords seem to really "like" children as a rule.

Also, with their mostly steadier and unflappable (all tho not all of them)
personalities, I feel they are particularly suited to being around kids.
My daughter had the opportunity to school on a Fjord owned by the Anderson
family -- Budd, an 8 year old gelding who is over 15 hands and big as a
tank.  He was gentle, aware and very careful of my 7 year old.  There is no
cuter site than the site of a small child leading a big old boy like that
around.  He would actually lower his head and shorten his stride so as not
to step on her, he was so good.  Well, maybe the site of her cleaning out
one of his big feet...that was pretty darn cute also.  Well, maybe the site
of her cantering bareback on him on the lunge line with Laree teaching her
... ah, Fjords and kids!

All in all, Fjords are great family horses, offering something for each of
us.  Even tho, they have great strength, they are easily trained and very
willing to do what we need them to do.

IMO, they are also SMARTER than "other" horses!!!  This makes them special
as well.  I'll stop now ... cuz I could go on and on and on ...

Sarah Nagel in Northern Idaho .... loving her fuzzie Fjords