This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Mike, everyone,

Steve, by the way, I think an evaluation in that area is a great idea!  Would
certainly cover those states which are very far from other possible
evaluations.

I feel the need to seriously address some issues brought up on this email
list over the last few days concerning evaluations.  As Mike and I have
discussed, Bernie and I feel the need for an evaluation for the members of
the Great Lakes Fjordhest, and other interested Fjord people.  Many of our
members have contacted me requesting an evaluation, and through these
conversations, I have heard some of the comments which I have shared on this
list.  For example, expensive entries, evaluations being held too far away,
not enough evaluations, etc.

As was suggested, we applied for approval to hold an eval, but were not given
approval for two reasons.  One is the simple fact there are not enough
evaluators to have an evaluation, and the second reason was because we
requested financial assistance to host our first evaluation.  According to
figures I was given, the Vermont eval cost over $6000.  IF our club and other
members were able to enter 25 horses, and using that $6000 figure as a rough
estimate, that comes to $240 per horse plus stabling, travel, hotel, food,
etc.  For some people whom I have spoken with, the fee is too high, hence our
request of financial assistance.  Once we receive actual approval for an
evaluation, we will then begin the process of preparing a budget, again
submitting a request for financial assistance.

Another SERIOUS glitch for us is the fact many people want their young horses
evaluated to decide on stallion potential, mare breeding potential, show
potential, etc.  I was told it probably is not a good idea to have horses
under 4 evaluated as the evaluators will not write too much but "still
growing" on the eval sheet!  I believe everyone will agree $240 is a bit
expensive to hear that!  Why do not our evaluators do more than this for the
young horses?  The video from Norway (thank you Ursula and Brian) showed
those evaluators grading 1,2, and 3 year olds.  I would think this is of
utmost importance especially concerning stallion potential.  What I see
happening here is without consistent evals evaluating young stock, the
stallion potential is left completely to the breeder.  Some seem to geld
across the board, while others sell all males as potentials.

As for the previous comments concerning cost and stabling, I need to make it
very clear all of us, members and non-members alike, know full well how
expensive horses are to keep.  We were trying to make the point that
evaluations should be more affordable simply due to their very importance to
our breed, and essentially, we all pay dues to incorporate said evaluations.

As for the idea of using trailers for stabling, I would never dream of doing
such a thing.  As we discussed, Mike, I have the riding arena (being built)
which would work for all but one of the classes.  I do not have enough
stabling for 25 or more horses.  What I DO have, however, is extra pens,
rings, even possibly portable rings.  I was trying to figure out some way of
making the eval cheaper for the participants, and stabling put a hitch into
that idea!  Maybe one of our members has that sort of facility.

My comments concerning the Fjord clubs becoming affiliated the the NFHR for
evaluation purposes came from this thought.  It would provide five consistent
and yearly evaluations along with five Fjord shows.

I realize more than it appears the potential work involved getting shows and
evaluations off the ground.  I certainly know everyone has jobs, families,
and horses to care for.  They are not alone, I have the same!  As I am an
author, my job is home-based, thank goodness, but it still takes a great deal
of time.  I also have a family, including a two year old, and a farm.  I
understand all too well the stress this volunteer work places upon people.

I must say, on a personal note, I find this entire evaluation discussion very
disheatening.  I love this breed, and would like to see such a program
incorporated on a regular and consistent basis.  The evaluation process was a
leading factor favoring the NFHR over all other registries when we decided
which registry to go with for our horses.  I am very shocked and dismayed at
the obvious politics involved within this particular aspect, and while I know
this will be denied, I am convinced politics does play a strong role in the
evaluation process.

We have heard from various people the desire to hold evaluations close to
their area.  Surely, between all of us, we can resolve this hurdle.  However,
I must admit from a personal opinion, I am ready to wash my hands of the
entire subject, and begin hiring judges to evaluate my stock versus going
through this fighting.

Sincerely,

Lynda
Daniel Bailey and Lynda C. Welch-Bailey