This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 8/4/99 16:43:55 Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< I wonder what is the ideal number of females to each male in a purebred
 limited gene pool?????   >>

I don't know about the limited gene pool, but I know with TB's they really
like to limit a stallion's cover to 40 or so mares a year.  This is one way
that Calumet ruined itself, and oversaturated the market.  When the heir's
husband took over, he bred Alydar way too much.  Interesting story, the book
Wild Ride, about Alydar, Calumet, and the tragic end to a legacy.  It became
such an ugly story, I couldn't bear to read the last quarter of the book!

NOT that this has much to do with fjords <g>.  With the limited number of
fjords in the states we'll keep bumping into the same bloodlines and I don't
think many stallions will be breeding 40+ mares.  If I'm wrong, I'd like to
be enlightened.  Thanks!

Pamela