This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

As a new list member here, I have posted to the list a couple of times, and I
keep forgetting to use my name!   I'm Candy, my husband Ed and I have owned a
pair of Fjord geldings, Max and Thor, for about 6 weeks now.  Thanks to the
people who responded to my first post about pasturing them with our little
ponies.  They are pastured together now, with no problems combining them.  We
fenced them up next to each other for a while, until it seemed that they were
all used to the idea, then opened a space between them and watched.  There was
some excited trotting about, and there is still a little nipping and such, but
they generally get along fine.  We are getting used to the horses by hitching
them up to the wagon and going for rides to the creek.  Ed tried using Thor on
the cultivator, but they are not used to driving single, and he just wanted to
be back by the barn with his brother.  We're enjoying having them and learning
to work with them.   Our oldest daughter Erica drove th!
!
em with Ed on the wagon on her 10th birthday - very exciting for her.

My two girls are taking riding lessons, Erica participated in her first
equitation show on Sunday, riding the instructor's Arabian / QH cross.  No
ribbons, but she learned a lot and really enjoyed it.    One of Erica's
birthday presents was a book on horses.   In this book, the paragraph on Fjords
says " due to their straight shoulders, they are difficult to fit with a
saddle."     Is this true?   What should I look for?   We were given two 17"
english saddles, we would like to use these on the Fjords but have not put onto
the ponies' backs yet.   Erica brought the saddle pads out to the Fjords, to
let them inspect.  Thor sniffed, and went back to grazing.   Erica laid it on
his back, and he couldn't care less.  Max came over for a look, sniffed the
pad, then turned away with a look that said, "Yuck!", then he walked away.

Candy at Laughing Crow Farm, where we scan the skies for rain daily