This message is from: "Michael Bickman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from: Mike Bickman [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd like to introduce myself to the list.  I've read, enjoyed and learned
from the posts here for the past few months.  I'm a new fjordhorse owner.
Cindy, my wife, has owned two to three horses for the last 20 years, and
keeps them in a rental stable.  She competes in lower level dressage.  We
live in Atlanta, Georgia.  I'm 56, Cindy is 48.

I never expected to be a horse person.  If you had told me a couple of years
ago I would soon own horses and live on a farm, I would have called the men
in white coats for you.

In the summer of 1999, Cindy, who teaches gymnastics and ballet, was taking
a group of gymnasts to perform for a week at the World Gymstrada in
Gothenberg, Sweden and then to tour Norway for a week.   I joined the group
at the end of the Gymstrada and then it was off to Norway and its beautiful
fjords.  We spent a lot of time in the countryside, and even stayed
overnight in a small town where one of the gymnast's grandmother lived.
Everybody noticed the pretty light brown horses in the farmers' fields and
back yards.  Eventually, early one morning, we went to one of the Norwegian
equivalents of our National Parks.  It was a glacier park and we planned to
hike to the tip of the glacier.  On the way to the park our bus passed some
carts being pulled by these horses, and the horses eventually showed up at
the park to give rides to visitors who preferred to ride vs. hike to the
glacier.  While our group was milling around in the gift shop before
beginning the hike, I walked up to the horses to get a better look at them.
It was the first time in my life I did not feel uncomfortable around horses.
(This may be traceable to my having been chased by a calf when I was a
child, and to not having any real farm experience.)  They were calm, yet
obviously quite alert.  I found out more about these amazing horses during
the remainder of the trip and then started researching them on the Internet
after we came home.

This past summer we took the introductory driving course offered by Carol
and Arthur Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia.  It was a great week
and gave us a chance to spend more time with these horses.  We stayed at the
Rivoire's rental cottage on the farm and spent much of our "off" hours just
hanging around the barn and rest of the farm.  I had hoped to tour at least
part of the famous Cabot Trail on nearby Cape Bretton, but once at the farm
we didn't want  to spend much time away from it.  Maybe some other time.  At
the end of the week, one of Carol's assistants asked what I thought about
horses now.  I told her "I'm still not sure about horses, but I love
fjords."

Anyway, we purchased a 2 year old mare (Tanja) from Carol before we even got
there, a 3 year old mare (Silaika) while we were there and a 4 year old
gelding (Kastar) a few months later.  All three arrived early in December
and are now in the same rental stable as Cindy's two other horses, where
they patiently wait for us to complete construction of a horse farm near
Canton, Georgia.  We hope to move in around the beginning of March.

Silaika was started on driving at Beaver Dam Farm and Kastar on riding.
We've found a couple of excellent driving instructors not too far away and
look forward to taking lessons after we move in.  I've already had a couple
of basic lessons with Kastar (nothing beyond walking), but for now its
mostly grooming.

The postings on this list have been very helpful to us;  there's a lot of
experience available here and we're appreciative so many of you have been
willing to share it.

Mike

Mike and Cindy Bickman
Stepping Stone Farm