This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> tend to comply with standing in tie stalls, catherized for
> months. )

These mares are not catheterized.  It's a free catch system (at least the
ones I know of).  Also, the mares do get a required amount of time for
turn out.  The mares are brought inside in the fall and spend the winter
indoors (not a good time to be outside in Canada anyway).  During this
time they do get periods of turn out.  Then in the spring they are turned
out to foal.  Yes, it's not an ideal life of a horse, but I think their
life is better than the image most people have.  I'm sure there are some
farms that are more reputable than others, too.  But with all the recent
publicity, I'm sure this will change.

> I also do not stomach auctions that sell horses to the (always there
> in the
> back row,) meat guys.

I don't like to think of this either, but what are we supposed to do with
all the surplus of horses?  It pains me to think of some horse that has
provided good service and/or companionship to its owner and then is
crammed into a trailer with a bunch of others and taken to slaughter.
But what is the solution?

I have a client with a sadistic sense of humor.  He deals in sport horses
and everytime I tell him a horse is not fit for his use due to some
injury, he tells me "You've just made some Belgian boy very happy" (i.e.
this horse is going to slaughter).

It irritates me when I have a client that has a mare that they want to
breed because "we think it would be good for her" or "it would be fun to
have a foal around".  OK, but what is going to happen to that foal when
it grows up?

Also, I think with the scare of mad cow disease in Europe there is going
to be even more demand for horse meat.

Lisa, these comments aren't directed at you.  Just my general ramblings
to the list.

Steve

Steve and Amy White
Prairieholm Farm