This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 12/16/00 9:49:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 YEP!  That's why I have a Fjord.  No need to worry about them getting
 cold.  I love seeing the snow stay on Heidi's back all day.  About the next
 best critter for our winters is a buffalo, but I've not tried to ride one
 of them lately.  LOL

When you mentioned (with tongue in cheek, I'm sure) riding a buffalo, just
had to share this story with you.  It was a memorable occasion for us, to say
the least!

When we first moved to Eugene, OR, we were invited to perform with the Fjords
twice a day at the county fair.  The event was called the 'Cavalcade of
Horses'.  It was something that the fairboard provided for the horse loving
audiences.  Several acts were booked (yes, we actually got PAID) and the
house was always full.  You'll notice the use of 'past tense.'  That was the
last year it was offered.  The following story may be part of the reason??

One of the acts booked was a fellow that dressed like an Indian chief (have
forgotten his name) who rode a buffalo named 'Harveywallbanger.' Harvey was
touted as being the only buffalo in the world who did dressage.

The fellow also brought 3 other younger buffalo that were on display in a
pen.  He did ride one of the younger bulls too.  Since we were booked right
behind them, I had a hard time getting to see their performances.  I did find
one chance to poke my head in to watch.  It was pretty 'interesting' to say
the least - not exactly my idea of a smooth ride, but it was entertaining for
the audience.

When we lived in MT., a rancher there had a small herd of buffalo which the
public could go see.  There were several rules posted, however, due to the
buffalo's quirky, often volatile nature.  You had to be careful about sudden
movements and loud noises, particularly with small children.  Dogs were
absolutely forbidden.  Sometimes the bull would perceive such movements as
aggressive behavior or would just be having a 'bad hair day' and he would
charge!  One needs an extremely WELL BUILT FENCE to contain buffalo when they
get ticked!

Knowing that little bit about the nature of buffalo, I kept a wary eye on the
ones at the fair, to detect any perceived agitation.  The pen they were in
was just Powder River panels.  Hardly sufficient to contain a 'p---ed' off
buffalo!

For the most part, they seemed pretty relaxed - until one day - this poor
Indian fellow!  Things really went to H in a handbasket.  He got Harvey a
little too close to the arena wall and Harvey accidentally hooked a horn on
some of the wiring to the spotlights, huge sound system, etc.  They tore out
quite a bit of wiring before the fellow got things back under control.  It
was actually rather comical!

Then later when he was performing with the younger, less experience bull, the
youngster figgered he had about enough fun for one day and decided to exit
stage left, right over the fence into the audience!  Fortunately, no one was
hurt!  The audience definitely had a thrill-a-minute that day!

That fellow's complexion changed suddenly to ashen - he looked more like
"Casper" than "Tonto"!

After all of that commotion, the Fjords looked pretty darn good when they
sauntered in, calm, cool, and collected!!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR
www.fjordhorse.com