This message is from: "Ursula Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

NOW - here's the problem  -- there are some people who have come to buy
horses that
say they don't want to pay for our facilities, care, time and training  -
they've
come right out and told us so - and  then think if they buy elsewhere they
are
getting a better deal - Its frustrating to me because we do - all this work,
and not
many people apply value to it. Our horses are priced within the average.
that's a real interesting point Pat and worthy of  further consideration.
This is the type of thing I think about almost on a daily basis while doing
my barn chores....anytime we are in the presence of our animals is an
opportunity for training (esp the babies) for some of us it's second nature
to be reinforcing good manners and obedience without calling it a formal
lesson. As well, anytime a mature horse is ridden or driven it's a lesson
even though we can also call it just a pleasure outing...to us it's a normal
way of interacting with our animals no matter what age.or circumstance..of
course this 'should' translate into dollars but you're right, it's often
hard to make buyers understand that an animal left in a pasture compared to
one being 'handled in an interactive manner and by experienced people should
have a different dollar value.....the other side, too, is 'HOW' the animal
is handled....by an experienced or an  in-experienced handler....one who has
the experience to recognize minute potential problems by handling the horse
one way or possibly inconsistently & not picking up signals that can cause
problems down the road...Any time we interact with our horses is an
opportunity which can cause a positive or negative message on many levels of
the horses' psyche.....and affects the way this animal reacts in the
future....every interaction is part of the 'whole' or what you are trying to
achieve. Pretty 'deep' stuff ,EH? But so true.
So,when I'm out mucking with my big ole wheelbarrow and the babies come to
check things out and try to interfere with my work, it's an opportunity for
me to teach them to respect my space, my efforts and my place on the
hiararchy.
Pat, I guess the bottom line in terms of applying value to all the 'minute'
and 'little' things we do in how we handle our horses, can be compared to
'housework'....there sure as heck is a difference in the final product if
you spend a lot of time at it but if you don't do it there are many ways to
cover it up the lack of effort too...
AND like housework, there is little appreciation and value attached. Unless
you have to pay someone to do it.
How profound is THAT, eh?
The old adage.....'pay now or pay later'.....

Ursula  Jensen
Trinity Fjords
Box 1032 Lumby BC Canada V0E-2G0
http://okjunc.junction.net/~ujensen/