This message is from: Kathy Spiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jean Gayle wrote:

> This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> She sounds like quite a character, Meredith.  I think peaches are okay it is
> the pit that has. is it arsenic?  Horses can find the best way to have
> accidents in ways we humans do not seem to anticipate, i.e. like Gunnar
> running across the field with the garden gate over his neck.  Smart boy
> though, he finally stopped and shook it off.  Jean
>
> Jean Gayle
> Aberdeen, WA
> [Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"
> Occupied Germany 1946 TO 1949 ]
> http://www.techline.com/~jgayle
> Barnes & Noble Book Stores

Cyanide is the compound in peach and apricot seeds ( inside the stoney  pits).
I have no idea of the fatal dose in horses but a cup of pits ( apricot ) may be
fatal in humans.  Re tying horses to imovable objects - I had a very bad
experience with a beautiful  horse who had a fatal flaw that I did not know
about-He pulled back and went totally nuts when tied to objects, but not all the
time.  I had had him for about six months and rode him fairly often, but never
tied him for any longer than it took to get him saddled.   We had just trailered
our horses to the national forest for the beginning of a 3 day pack trip over
the fourth of July.   He was tied to the side of a horse trailer while we got
the gear ready  He suddenly pulled back and then went berserk.  Even though the
lead was tied with a half-hitch- I couldn't get to the end of the rope because
of the flailing hooves. I simply  could not get between him and the trailer in
time to release the lead.  The horse broke his leg at the fetlock and then
proceeded to completely disarticulate the joint on the edge of the trailer
fender.  You could see the damage grow with each blow but he would not stop and
the lead did not give. He had a nylon halter on.  I finally got in with a knife
and got out with only one blow to my leg.     We had to destroy the horse right
there.  Luckily no one including the other horse tied to the trailer was
seriously injured but it was traumatic.  We found out after talking to the
previous owner that the horse had a history of pulling back violently  when tied
to any object but it was unpredictable and he  had forgotten to mention it.  He
felt bad and I felt even worse.  With the exeption of that one fault he was a
gem and had never given any indication of the fury that could be unleashed when
he found he could not get away.  I do not know what caused it in his past, we
were unable to trace the other prior owners but to this day I get very nervous
tying a horse.  The breakaway halter or snap is a good idea. There are
situations where you cannot safely get to the lead to release even a simple half
hitch.   I would rather retrieve a horse than put another one down because of an
accident like this or worse, have someone seriously injured.  Until you have
seen a horse in full fury and unable to escape, it is easy to forget how deadly
they can be.

Kathy