This message is from: "Meredith Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Meredith, just one thing for beginners about tying a horse to a tree.  I
had
>an anglo/thoroughbred who wore a very distinctive scar behind his ears
where
>the halter rope had cut through his flesh as he went wild fighting the
tree.

Aagot surprised me the other day by slipping out of her nylon rope halter,
the kind that is made from one piece.   She has never fought her halter
before.  I was giving her a bath so I had tied it kinda loose so I could
scrub around her ears and she was wet, soapy and slippery.  She had never
fought her halter before - she just backed up, stretched out and braced
against it like a little donkey and out she popped!!!!!  Thank heavens we I
had found a large section of scrap carpet to have her stand on to prevent
mud and splashed mud so we were under the tracter shed.  The shed is within
the fence line.  I had considered bathing her on he carport because the
garage roof is held up by stout metal poles and it is on concrete.  But had
she got loose there she could have run out into the road.  Thank goodness I
changed my mind.

I try to remember the rules - when you are tying a horse up with an
unbreakable nylon or rope halter or to an unbreakable post or tree, use a
knot you can untie quickly.  My husband just taught me to tie with a half
hitch, I find it to be handy knot with those thick colored nylon leads, I
double it and leave the looped end behind instead of pulling it all the way
through.  It tightens instantly when the horse pulls on it and can be untied
with one tug.

I can't believe it - I'm sitting here at my 'puter, drinking my coffee
watching my horse scratching her back on the peach tree.  Problem is, she's
fenced away from the peach tree!  Let me go check this out!

She had been eating the tall grass under the tree and slipped under the
electric tape fence.  She's full of surprises this week, she hasn't slipped
under an electric fence in two years!  The electric fence is only used to
define boundaries within a wire mesh fence and hasn't been turned on for
months.  Looks like it's time to turn it on until all the fruit has fallen
and gone away.  She hasn't shown any interest in peaches but I hear they are
poisonous to horses.  It took a minute for me to convince her to walk under
the strand as I held it high over our heads with much kissing and clucking
and "It's alright Sweety"'s, although she had to have gone under it with it
touching her back!!!!!  Funny girl!!!!!

.>>>.<<<.      Meredith Sessoms
.>>>.<<<.      Tooksend Art
.>>>.<<<.      Moulton . Alabama . USA