This message is from: "Sue Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>The old "boot'em"
> around tactics just don't cut it anymore! I keep telling my students that
if
> you want to move a fjords quarters around, pretend you are a fly landing
on
> their side. They notice RIGHT away, whereas, when you push and muscle
them,
> they want to re-vert to being horsey sumo wrestlers with you, and push
INTO
> you. The same applies to backing, etc. always ask as lightly as possible.

Hi Karen:  How does this apply when you are leading a very bossy yearling
with a mind of his own?
Hubby was out working with Storm tonight and had a chain under his chin (He
refuses to budge or else wants to throw his head and go where he wants)
without it.  They didn't do too badly except Storm would attempt to bow his
neck and take off if he could.  He also tends to crowd.  When standing he
takes the leadline or chain ...whatever he can get hold of...into his mouth.
If you take off the leadline and attempt to lead him  with just the halter
he will try to bite...(while refusing to move. )He got his mouth slapped
tonight for the open mouth act.  ...when "I "attempt to lead.. he .tries to
nip and refuses to budge unless I slap him lightly with the leadline and
pull...then off we go with him trying to go too fast and get the upper hand.
After that,  I decided I had better let my husband do the training. We just
wonder what is the best approach with this.  We have had horses for years
but none have acted exactly like this guy.  He just does not want to lead
without balking and being  headstrong...tho much much better to handle since
he was gelded in May.  At least now he can be controlled. When we finished
his little training session, he ran to the barn and in his stall. (There
were mosquitots bothering us all)  We made over him after and gave him
treats.  Any suggestions anyone?  He does back up well. (:
Sue in N. B.  (Desert Storms mom}