This message is from: "Stephen Nasby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi to all. I live with my family (7 of us) on a 160 acre farm in Saskatchewan. We haven't owned a farm before, so I am enjoying it immensely with my 7 Dexters, 1 sweetheart Jersey, 2 Herefords, Arabian gelding who I have had for 11 years, 80 chickens, a Great Dane (who I tried to show till she told me she wanted to be a farm dog instead), cats and this summer we are getting goats, sheep, pigs and bees - I'm one of those people that loves self sufficiency, gardening, horse farming etc. Unfortunately before we moved to the farm, the place we owned was restricted to one horse (due to a by-law), so I had to sell all but my Arabian who will be with me till he dies. We were also moving across 2 provinces and the price of moving 4-5 horses was too much for me Now that we have lots of pasture (and no cities to dictate what animals I can have), I am looking forward to starting again. I purchased my Arab as a 3 yr old colt, and up until 3 years ago, we were doing free ground work (no equipment) and bridleless riding till he lost most of his sight. Now he is a slightly spooky pleasure horse who is thoroughly enjoying our latest venture, hauling manure and bales and my sister with Down's syndrome (not in that order:<), on a home made sled. Part of my self sufficiency ambition is to include some dual purpose horses for riding and doing chores ie. mowing, hauling hay, spreading manure etc. And after riding on my own for 10 years it would be nice to have a horse for a family member to join me on my rides. I have never worked with Norwegian Fjords (I owned and trained Quarter horse, Arabian, Welsh cross, Paints, thoroughbred etc), but when we lived in BC, the property beside us was selectively logged with horses from Anvil Acres. That was my first glimpse of them including their working ability and gentle natures. I really don't know quite what I am looking for and have just started contacting different breeders to see what is available. I would love to have another colt or filly to work with and eventually get back up to the bridleless work and free lunging, and maybe the Fjords mellowness will rub off on my Arabian. I am also considering a program for handicapped children and maybe do some special shows - I taught my Arabian to do tricks (bow, kneel, plie, shake, give a hug etc) and had wild dreams of some day giveing bridleless demonstrations with tricks etc. But I would also like to work under a local trainer (when I find one), to learn more advanced work as in proper collection etc. And after going to a local reining competition it really grew on me - especially those gorgeous spins and sliding stops. I am also looking for something with a big personality. I have been spoiled by my Arab who follows me around, whinnies when he sees me, picks up tools and is a nuisance when I'm working, is gentle with my handicapped sister, and in general just loves people. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of owning another horse with a personality like that, but I'm still looking. And the other horses all had their own unique personalities and traits that I loved also - it broke my heart to sell them.
Well, enough rambling. It is time to go milk.
Heather
From Saskatchewan, Canada