This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Kim and welcome.  If you are buying fjords or other small or warmblood
horses always ask re their feeding habits.  I have two "easy keepers"
something your big horse was not.  I have watched people starve their new
regular horses after having owned "easy keepers".  And vice versa I have
watched people who had regular eaters founder their new "easy keepers"
through lack of knowledge.  For this reason when you are planning your
pastures have at least a small area where a horse can be contained without
grazing.  Here in northwest Washington we have to be careful as the new
grass comes on as it is quite rich and sets a horse who may be founder prone
to founder quickly.  This has already started with the new grass much
earlier this year. Global warming I presume.

Muzzles also work if they restrict the amount of grass and this way the
horse is allowed to be with the others and moving about.  Just a thought.
Jean

Jean Gayle
Aberdeen, WA
[Authoress of "The Colonel's Daughter"