This message is from: "Frederick J. Pack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi folks,

First some background.  I have been a Amateur radio operator (Ham) since I
was a little kid.  I have been licensed for over 50 years.  Please grant
that I know a "little" about radio, radio reception, and electronics.

Any electronic device, unless well shielded, will emit an electronic signal.
Try putting your digital watch next to your car antenna sometime.  Electric
fences will also emit a pulse signal over a broad frequency spectrum.  The
original radio transmitters were nothing but sparks jumping across a gap.

An insulated electric fence, which is ABOVE electrical ground, will still
emit a signal.  Should your electric fence wire length be of a resonant
length equal to a broadcast station's receiver...that received pulse will be
even stronger in the receiver.  Your electric fence becomes a broadcast
antenna.

Should the fence be arcing to ground, by touching something (weed, animal,
human, or broken wire), I detect a break (short) in my fence by listening to
my headphone radio (on AM, not FM) as I work outside.  The extra ZAP in the
headphones tells me when there is trouble in the fence.

When I use my High Frequency Ham radios, I must turn OFF my electric fences
when I am listening on the lower frequencies....even when the fence is NOT
shorted out.

A properly operating electric fence CAN NOT affect TV reception... unless
the TV antenna is within 10 feet of the fence.  Then, only maybe...

A properly operating electric fence WILL affect AM reception  up to 300
feet.  The weaker the broadcast station, the louder the electric pulse will
override the received signal.  With a strong broadcast station, the fence
would be almost undetectable.

I have had some real problems with my ham radios over the years.  My signal
was getting into one guys electronic doorbell and talking to him.  One
neighbor complained that I was bothering his TV.  The FCC guys came out and
found that he had pointed his TV antenna at my tower and antennas (rather
than pointing it at the TV transmitter) as he got a better TV signal from
the reflection of my big tower and beam antennas.  On and On it goes.  That
was when we lived in the city.

Now, out here in the boonies, I don't bother anyone except myself.  Between
ham radio and flying, we have friends all over the world.

Electronics lesson over.  I would rather write about how much fun it was to
fly the 747 or love our Fjords.  Had to include something about Fjords  to
keep Steve happy.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,

Fred

Fred and Lois Pack
Pack's Peak Stables
Wilkeson, WA USA

Subject: Re: electric fence

This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That is an interesting question carol about interference from the fence
charger.  I have had neighbors call me accusing my electric fence of causing
problems with their TV or radio.  When it is not on!!!!