This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"How NOT to promote Fjords"

I have to say that I agree with the statement about being careful.  I have
introduced myself previously and have indicated that I recently purchased a
PMU rescue foal - a Fjord/Quarter cross and wanted everyone to know how
thrilled I am with him.  However shortly after I purchased Drifter, the
controversy really kicked up about Fjord crosses and I have been just sitting
back and reading all of the many comments.  I have to say that I have been
reluctant to even post any messages to this board because I feel that because
my horse is not a purebred Fjord that we really wouldn't be welcome by very
many - a few have responded kindly about the crosses and I even received a
couple of very nice e-mails when I first introduced myself, but that sure
doesn't seem to be the tone I've seen lately.  I want you all to know that I
do understand your concerns about keeping the breed pure.  But, yes, there is
a place for these crosses.  I, personally, have wanted a Fjord for several
years.  I even recently had decided to start saving for one and had
corresponded via e-mail with a breeder in Canada about possibly purchasing
one in a year or so.  However, to be honest with you....with 2 children in
college, I just couldn't see myself spending that kind of money for several
more years.  In the meantime, I heard about the PMU foals and found my little
guy at a very reasonable price.  He is what I needed for now and will be a
lifelong member of my family.  I will be gelding him when he is physically
ready - but not because he is a cross - I just have no desire to own a
stallion.  Maybe someday I may still be able to purchase a purebred Fjord.
However, I must say, that I love my little guy and have been a little turned
off by what seems to be the attitudes of a great many people in the Fjord
horse world.  I can certainly understand why some people may decide to look
elsewhere when making a purchase.

Cheryl Hill
in Northern CA