This message is from: "Bill Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Carol J. Makosky
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 1:14 PM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Re: Dogs\Flies and Foals - Good title for a message to the
list,no?

This message is from: "Carol J. Makosky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"W. Peter Randall" wrote:

> This message is from: "W. Peter Randall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> A few things from the Niagara Region in heat struck Ontario...
>
> 2) I have a new dog who is just great with our three small kids and
wonderful
> on the farm except where horses are concerned. He takes after them and
> especially bothers my exquisite filly Elsa (Leader Lane) - and she's
> something, never had a horse person see her who didn't want to buy her.
The
> dog is a Shep\Collie mix, one year old and always been in a city.
>
> I have been leading horses down the drive, by the dog while my wife has
him on
> a leash and choke collar and she chokes him and says no everytime he barks
at
> a horse.
>
> We also tie him up whenever he is bad like this but as you can imagine it
can
> be quite dangerous.  Last night I was taking Elsa into her stall after
> grooming and the dog flew out of nowhere biting her back legs and Elsa and
> did dangerous out of control circles around her stall till I kicked him
out
> and got the metal stall door shut.
>
> I am praying the horse novelty will wear off but am obviously concerned
for
> the safety of the horses and us humans! ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIA

Peter,
 Let me say that I don't really reccomend this method because it cost me
money at the dog vet, but my Irish Setter was cured 2 years ago from chasing
horses by one swift kick to the head. He lived but won't talk about. When
the horses come out into the lawn where he is ( with an invisable fence ) he
normally goes to the other side of the house so he won't be reminded of
being knocked silly. That kick was from a rather porky QH mare. The Fjord
(Henry)got a good kick in to the head of a neighbors German Shepard that
charged him from behind while we were adjusting our saddles on the side of
the road accross the street from the dogs house. Henry was eating grass and
never lifted his head. The dog went flying and yelping back to the house.
The owners adult son came out and told us not to ride by their house anymore
because we hurt their dog (who would never attack a horse, Henry had to
attack him). We had to apoligise for my horse because his dog  crossed the
road (leash law in effect)so my horse could attack him . That dog doesn't
even bark at horses anymore. That wasn't positive reinforsement but it
worked.

Bill Kelley
Webster NY