This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >
> > Pamela now that we are back on the "to breed or
> not" I am still a believer
> > that if you see a well bred stallion or mare,
> instead of breeding to them,
> > go to the parents that had the genes to produce
> such examples
> Yes.  What immediately comes to my mind is the
> thoroughbred world, and
> Secretariat.  He was such a great horse, but his
> babies just didn't seem to
> be able to run.  If I remember correctly, his
> daughters though, turned into
> fabulous broodmares who could produce real runners.

Aha - and maybe this is where the old saying that "a
mare produces offspring like HER sire and a stud
produces offspring like HIS dam" came from.  I don't
remember where I first heard this 'old tome', but it's
been around horse breeding circles for a long time.
There is also a modern modification of the old saying
which goes something like this:  A mare will produce
male offspring which resemble her sire, a stud will
produce female offspring which resembe his dam.  I
always wondered about this modification, as it leaves
out the questions about a mare's female offspring and
a stud's male offspring.  Hmmm.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman