This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/4/2002 10:29:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Pamela now that we are back on the "to breed or not" I am still a believer
> that if you see a well bred stallion or mare, instead of breeding to them,
> go to the parents that had the genes to produce such examples.  One of the
> uglier stallions (a Holsteiner) produced 9s and 10s in conformation and
> gaits.  Even though you have a stallion with a top rating it does not mean
> he will throw those qualities.  If you have a chance to see the get, as we
> do here then it is worth the risk, but not 100% guaranteed.

Yes.  What immediately comes to my mind is the thoroughbred world, and
Secretariat.  He was such a great horse, but his babies just didn't seem to
be able to run.  If I remember correctly, his daughters though, turned into
fabulous broodmares who could produce real runners.

I really REALLY wanted to breed my mare to Brusvein.  But red tape,
limitations with semen overseas, etc. kept me from it, so I had to do just
the opposite of what you recommended, and bred to one of his few sons in the
U.S., Hostar.  And couldn't have been more amazed at the beauty that Juniper
and he just produced.  I mean, I was expecting a very nice horse, but she
just blew me away!  We've had lovely fjord babies here (just a few, as said
earlier, we're not big time breeders) but this one is just a delight!  Even
more than ordinarily so!

Pamela