This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/2/2002 8:30:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> << But if you
> know you've got a good horse, with a great temperament, flawless
> conformation
> and also ability, there is no reason to not breed a mare that is unproven
> in
> the show circuit.  >>
>
> And how do you know this without competing?

In a word..... Evaluation!!  At least as far as the conformation goes.
Temperament speaks for itself - you KNOW if your own horse had a good
temperament or not of course.  Some long time horse breeders will also know
very well if their mare has good conformation or not, even without Evaluation
or the show ring.  And, I'm sure we've all seen cases in shows where horses
are placed high in a halter class that are not necessarily the best horses
there - the results are subject to the opinion and preference of one person,
the judge of that particular show.  At least with Evaluation all horses are
being judged on their own merits according to the breed standard,  and not
against other horses.  This is of course just my opinion on the subject, and
I really have nothing against shows - I like to show.

Amy

Amy Evers
Dun Lookin' Fjords
Redmond, OR