This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi-

Thanks for all your comments on barefoot Fjords. Sounds like there are quite a
few of us out there, and many of us started because those Fjord hooves are so
naturally hard! Just one (more) reason why as a beginning horse owner I picked
this less-problematic breed.

Great to hear of the barefoot Fjord competing in CDE. You may want to send your
story & pictures to the www.tribeequus.com site -- they have a section on "high
performance barefoot horses."

Re: rocky/hard roads and trails. It's important to condition the hooves to the
terrain on which they will be used. I put rocks in my paddocks so the horses
have to walk across them to go to & from feed & water. If they are still ouchy
after conditioning, boots are a better (and temporary) option. Two of my Fjord
friends use Old Macs with good results.

Trimming. I became a do-it-yourselfer when all else failed. I just couldn't
find a farrier who impressed me, so I took matters into my own hands --
literally :-) One thing I quickly learned is to soak those rock-hard hooves in
water before trimming! Saves lots of energy.

Happy Fjording,
Brigid Wasson