This message is from: "Reena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When I bought Gustav he was barefoot and was kept that way until we
moved here to Michigan. The barn where he is boarded at has very hard
ground with lots of gravel etc., he was ok up until around Sept (we
moved here in July) when after we had a bunch of rain and then it
dried out a bit he was very ouchy/tenderfooted. It did finally get a
bit better, but he was just never quite the same as when he moved
here. I think he must have gotten a stone bruise when it was wet and
his feet were soft. I finally put front shoes on him and that really
helped. He has had them (shoes) since then and even through out the
winter.

just my two cents (and we use a farrier)

Reena

> On to my question... how many of you keep your Fjords barefoot? Were
> they shod when you bought them? Did you have to go through a
> transitional period with no riding, or using boots? Who trims: you,
> a traditional farrier, or a natural hoof care provider (someone who
> trims/advocates natural hoof care and does not apply shoes)? If you
> trim yourself, how do you do it and what guidelines do you follow?
> Any helpful hints, or problems you've encountered?

---