This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On to my question... how many of you keep your Fjords barefoot? Were they
> shod when you bought them? Did you have to go through a transitional period
> with no riding, or using boots? Who trims: you, a traditional farrier, or a
> natural hoof care provider (someone who trims/advocates natural hoof care and
> does not apply shoes)? If you trim yourself, how do you do it and what
> guidelines do you follow? Any helpful hints, or problems you've encountered?

Each of my 3 Fjords came in barefoot, but in the autumn and with nail
holes showing that they had worn shoes that summer.  I tried keeping
each barefoot---it worked fine the first winter, but as soon as the
ground hardened up, each got ouchy, and wore off hoof faster than it
grew.  A major factor in this was the soils where I lived in
California---heavy clay that was foot-deep snot in the winter and
lumpy concrete in the summer, with a transition period of about 3
days, usually in late April.  In order to avoid mud-caused hoof
problems in the winter, I gravelled all of my corrals.  Plus, much of
our riding was on our gravelled road (had to ride at least a mile on
gravel to get to trails---it was a narrow, steep road, which had no
shoulders).  Anyway, I ended up keeping all of them shod, year-round.

Shoes worked, but 2 of my 3 developed thin hoof walls that chipped too
easily.  When I moved to Oregon, my new farrier was relieved to hear
that I wanted to try keeping them barefoot---he said he would have had
trouble attaching shoes, particularly to my old mare.  Some
combination of the soils (sandy loam, so the corrals weren't
gravelled), hay (cut at a better stage, and with a little clover), and
supplements (the area is selenium deficient, so the standard
supplements contain extra) here agree with them.  All of their hooves
improved, although the old mare still grew hoof slowly.  The geldings
continue to go barefoot, although they walk carefully across any
gravelled roads on their way to pasture---we don't ride much any more.

I have never trimmed my Fjords, although I have always done all of the
trimming on my donkey (who has never been shod).  For her, I just use
a hoof rasp, once every week or two---basically "augmenting" her
natural wear a little.  My standard has been photos that I took of
donkey hooves, just after her breeders had trimmed their herd.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon